Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Army of Friends


The high school I went to was so small that I was the only senior that played on the team my last year. My team was rather small and many of the players were very young. Myself being a senior, took turns pitching each game with a freshman. That just tells you how tiny our team was. My teammates made my last year my favorite one while at Bethlehem. Even though I was the lonesome senior, they made me feel like a little kid again. Starting each season I was so excited and jittery that I could hardly sit in my seat during school because I wanted so badly to get out on the field. Now that the season is over and my career as a softballer has ended, I sometimes feel lost in my own shoes. My favorite sport will not be the same compared to when I was a child.
Since I went to a Catholic high school and being the captain and leader of the team, before each game I would gather my teammates around in a circle, lock arm in arm, and say a quick prayer thanking God for all he has done, ask for safety for everyone on the field, and most importantly fun! We would end each prayer with an Our Father Prayer and then finally a 1,2,3 BANSHEES cheer at the top of our lungs.
After we said the quick prayer I would walk each game out to home plate with my dad, our head coach, and have a meeting with the umpires. I used to like doing this because it gave me a chance to meet a player or two on the opposing team. Our season ended with only a few wins but I had a blast playing and will always treasure the memories I had my final senior year. Regardless of how small my team was, it felt like an army of friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment